It is in the interests of attorneys to familiarise themselves with the process and techniques of mediation. This 5-day course deals specifically with divorce mediation. Divorce mediation requires attorneys who are personable and articulate and who have good listening skills. For effective mediation, it is also advantageous if the attorney has practical experience in working with divorcing couples.
Whether you wish to practice as a mediator or be in a position to advise your clients or represent them at mediations, you will benefit greatly from attending the training. Please refer to page 2 for the outline of the event programme.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
All attorneys and candidate attorneys, especially (but not exclusively) those involved with divorce litigation.
All participants are required to attend the full 40 hour (5 day) event for which they will receive a Certificate of Attendance from LEAD. This will enable them to apply to their local service provider for accreditation as Divorce Mediators.
OUTLINE OF THE PROGRAMME
• General introduction to mediation and legal background
• The effects of divorce on adults and children
• Basic communication skills
• The agreement to mediate
• Stages in the mediation process
• Specific issues such as confidentiality, side meetings, dealing with deadlock, manipulation
• Setting the agenda
• The children including parenting plan and the children’s participation in the mediation process
• Financial implications of divorce – dealing with issues of maintenance and distribution of assets and liabilities
• Domestic violence
• Memorandum of Understanding
• Legal ethics
WHAT PREVIOUS DELEGATES SAID
• I learnt a lot from this training. I think this practical mediation course should be made compulsory for all legal practitioners before they are admitted to enlighten them about the alternative to litigation.
• Excellent work! Logical and in-depth explanations of concepts. The presenter was a pleasure and very knowledgeable!
• Well equipped to impart the knowledge. Benefited from the presenters’ skills and knowledge.
• The course content was stimulating, including the hands-on, practical approach and interaction between the lecturers and course attendees.
• The course was excellent. Learnt so much. Have a new understanding of the mediation process.
• Well-structured and -presented course.
WHERE AND WHEN
JOHANNESBURG 15 - 17 AUGUST AND 22 - 23 AUGUST 2016
POTCHEFSTROOM 12 - 16 SEPTEMBER 2016
CAPE TOWN 3 - 7 OCTOBER 2016
DURBAN 21 - 23 NOVEMBER 2016 AND 28 - 29 NOVEMBER 2016
NELSPRUIT 5 - 9 DECEMBER 2016
HOW TO REGISTER
NOTES ON LEAD COURSES
1. Course registration will be confirmed only if proof of payment is attached to the form.
2. Fees must be paid into the designated LSSA bank account. The LSSA will not accept liability if any other bank account is used.
3. LEAD makes use of reputable venues. The venue for this event will be determined by the number of registrations. Please wait for the confirmation before you make flight and accommodation bookings.
4. LEAD reserves the right to cancel a learning activity should the number of delegates not justify the costs involved. Registered delegates will be given reasonable notice of cancellation
5. Registrations close 48 hours prior to the course date. No registrations will be accepted thereafter.
6. Should you need to cancel your registration, this must be done in 5 days before the closing date to avoid the full fee being charged.