A legal register is more than just a document that you must check every time an audit comes around. It is an essential tool for ensuring that your company is compliant with all the relevant legal provisions that apply to it. Here are 10 aspects of a legal register that will make it truly great:
1. Expertly Customised: The first and most important aspect of a great legal register is that it is expertly customised to the operation to which it applies. Every company is different, and therefore, its legal requirements will also be unique. A legal register that is tailored specifically to your company’s needs will ensure that you are only tracking the provisions that are relevant to you.
2. Kept Up to Date: A legal register must be kept up to date, both on a daily basis as applicable legal provisions change and annually on review of company changes. This will ensure that your company stays compliant with the latest legal requirements.
3. Communication of Changes: A great legal register should communicate relevant, tailored changes to those tasked with maintaining compliance every day. This way, you can be sure that everyone who needs to know about the changes is kept in the loop.
4. Easy Access to Answers: A legal register should allow users (who may not be legally trained) to find answers to legal questions as they become relevant. This will make it much easier for those who are not familiar with the law to understand their obligations and take the necessary steps to comply.
5. Automation: Automating as much as possible is another important aspect of a great legal register. This will free up skilled resources, allowing them to focus on more important tasks.
6. Removal of Complexity: A legal register should remove all complexity from knowing what legal obligations apply to a company at all levels. This will make it much easier for everyone to understand their obligations and take the necessary steps to comply.
7. Bite-Size Answers: A great legal register should provide easily accessible, ‘bite size’ answers with the option to delve deeper. This makes it much easier to digest the information provided and doesn’t waste time by providing too much unnecessary detail.
8. Real-Time Updates: A legal register should be updated in real-time as legal obligations change. This will ensure that your company always stays compliant with the latest legal requirements.
9. Expert Support: A legal register should be supported by legal and technical experts that can address queries immediately. This will ensure that any questions or concerns that you have can be answered quickly and effectively.
10. Linked to Operational Risk: Finally, a great legal register should be seamlessly linked to operational risk. This will ensure that you are aware of any legal obligations that could impact your company’s operations and take the necessary steps to manage that risk.
With Sabinet Legal Registers, it’s quick, accurate and cost-effective to know your legal obligations for every operation. Not only does Sabinet Legal Registers enable you to tick every one of the points listed above, but users of the Legal Registers platform can also access:
· Legal Registers and updates
· Ongoing updates
· Integrated Risk Assessments
· Interpretation of environmental, occupational health and safety and quality (SHEQ), energy and food safety legal consultation
· SANS Identification and Updating Services
So, make sure you’re able to tick off these 10 key aspects when you’re evaluating your legal register, but if you want to be absolutely sure that your legal register is providing the information and support that your company needs to stay compliant, sign up for Sabinet Legal Registers.