- I wasn’t really very close to my dad when he died, which was lucky – because he got run over by a mini-bus taxi while crossing Adderley Street.
- My father – when he was alive – suggested I register with the South African organ donor foundation. He really was a man after my own heart.
- My dad was a bit of a player in his day, so one year I sent him an anonymous card saying: “Dear dad, happy Father’s Day – from one of your most legitimate children”.
- My dad was a very liberal man – he would have done anything for poor people – except mix with them.
- My dad grew up in a racist part of Bellville, called Bellville.
Barry Varkel, an attorney of the High Court of South Africa and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
Author of Nigiri Law