THE PROBLEM – Instant communicability has created an unprecedented expectation for all professionals to provide such instantaneous service, that it often seems that consumer-based desire for instant service gratification has reached “drive-through” proportions. A high quality typed document is often the final product representing the expertise and effort of most professionals. The rate limiting step in the provision a successful professional service, always depends on the constant availability and accessibility of reliable, experienced and highly skilled professional typists.
Most professional practices usually do not have any redundant transcription capacity or reserve. Single man or smaller professional practices often only employ a single “indispensable” transcriptionist. A crisis ensues when one or more typists become incapacitated and are suddenly unexpectedly unavailable. This usually occurs at the least opportune moment.
This requires a relatively mind shift of such common sense logic that I am embarrassed that I never thought of it during my twenty years in private practice!
The most prudent insurance contingency for this almost inevitable yet unpredictable typing crisis scenario, lies in a gradual transition to partially outsourced professional transcription: at the very least.
In this way, the outsourced transcriptionists have ongoing experience of the individual’s unique requirements and can slot in and take over effortlessly and provide continuity in any crisis.
At the very least professionals should be familiar with a transcription service that has the foresight to have a contingency whereby they can be so rapidly connected to a transcription service, that they have no perceptible service interruption.
THE MERITS OF OUTSOURCED TRANSCRIPTION
- Continuity and risk management: Reduced dependency on an “indispensable” highly specialised professional typist or group of typists:
- Staffing flexibility: Ability to access and rapidly increase specialised resource capacity rapidly to accommodate peak loads without the cost of additional staff and without the need to train new staff.
- Costs and efficiency savings:
- No extra/hidden costs: Typing costs are limited to the actual typed document only.
- Better operational control: No ongoing payment for unproductive time during quiet periods.
- Eliminates Human Resources, labour expenses and recruiting costs.
- Reduced personnel costs: Huge savings on employee benefits ( no thirteenth cheque, sick leave, medical aid and pension contributions etc).
- Reduced overheads. No need for bigger premises to accommodate more typists.
Dr Lynton Lurie
SA Professional Typing Services Online cc
SaproType is a specialized online confidential professional transcription service managed by professionals for professionals.
011 023 23 23