President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement that South Africa will be moving to level 3 lockdown from 1 June 2020 is one of the main features of today’s edition.
Other highlights include references to:
- The amendment of the directions relating to the Public Transport Services: Direction 8 of the directions published in GN493 published in GG 43272 of 4 May 2020 is substituted. (RGN587 GG 43348 p3 22May2020).
- The Circular issued by the National Commissioner: South African Police Service entitled ‘Use of force and torture: guidelines on the implementation and enforcement of regulations and directives issued in terms of section 27 of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 (Act No. 57 of 2002): containment and management of Covid-19’ dated 19 May 2020.
- The following articles on the use of force by police:
- Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria. Overview of Global and Regional Human Rights Standards on the Police Use of Force. 20 May 2020.
- Broughton, Tania. “There can be no justification for torture, ever” – top brass tell police. – In: Groundup, 21 May 2020.
The latest edition and all back copies of the Lexinfo Regulatory Update can be viewed at: https://www.lexinfo.co.za/covid19